Designs By Bowman

Artwork and Endeavours by Shane P. Bowman. shanepbowman@yahoo.com

Thursday, July 28, 2011

From Sketch to Finish

A small drawing in my sketch book...
turned into this...
48''x66'', torn canvas glued on plywood, acrylic paint


I got the idea to tear up canvas and make a small type of collage thing with it from a my Production of Art class I had last semester. The assignment was to make a self promo mailer and I used torn canvas for that because the texture of the fibers on the canvas gave it a "homemade" aesthetic.

This is so much more fun than just buying a pre-stretched canvas and painting on it. I enjoy the building process of just making the canvas itself and then painting on it afterwards. It is gratifying to make an entire piece yourself. The torn canvas just helps show the handmade quality of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment